Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Birthday

This picture was taken on the night in which I met Kaitlyn Hannay...a University of Georgia ZTA from Valdosta who frequently takes one for the team. This one's for you, Hannay.
I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the importance of today (well, technically yesterday since it's after midnight) but first, a preface: More than 2 years ago, my dear friend (and other half) Helen Lales reluctantly decided to embark on a 5 hour journey from Athens to spend a weekend with me in Charleston. I was originally planning on Jonathan and Helen being the two to invade my tiny downtown apartment but they soon informed me that a girl, whom I'd never met but for a brief drunken moment on St. Patty's Day, was going to be tagging along. Naturally, the news didn't phase me because I was just too excited to see Helen to even care. Little did I know the experience I was in for: a best friend. As sappy as that sounds, I am not exaggerrating when I say that Kaitlyn, Sarah and Julia make up 3/4ths of me. As I'm about to explain, Kaitlyn's fourth is just a drunken one...Hannay and Helen arrived in Charleston on a friday afternoon sometime late in our second semester of freshman year (judging by the slight tan and strapless dresses) and all I can say is that Hannay put the drunken UGA freshman to shame with her performance. I think it's safe to state a warning that you probably wont think this is as funny as we do because you werent there...but it's also safe to say that this is the story I will be telling at Kaitlyn's wedding so get used to it.
We began the night at a delicious restaurant (which are so frequent in Charleston) and then moved out to North Charleston to pregame at Robin's house (Robin can be seen flicking someone off, most likely jonathan, in the background of the picture above). After pregaming a little too hard at Robin's (freshmen, remember?), we decided it was a wise decision to take the pregame to a party somewhere else in north charleston...about 5 minutes after arriving at said party, Helen and I saw Kaitlyn attempt to wander down the stairs...hahahahaha and by attempt to wander, I mean not-so-gracefully bust ass. She mingled, drank and fell down the steps for a little while longer until she decided to pass out on the couch. We babysat her for about 30 minutes before I decided that I didn't know her well enough to sacrifice my own fun and Helen decided the house was safe enough to leave her asleep on the couch. Bad Decision. No, not bad decision because something happened to her, a bad decision because she found us and yelled about the possibilities of being raped or whatnot...during her rant, I somehow snuck away when she screamed "Helen, take me home!" Since Helen wasnt ready to leave, and decided to be evil, she told Hannay to go find me; I, being sneaky, sent her back to Helen. We literally sent the poor girl back and forth for an hour just to avoid leaving the party early...at one point, I had to drop my drink and take off running around the side of the house just to dodge the possibility of her catching Helen and I together (why she decided to remain friends with us, I'll never know). After an additional hour of torture, and an hour of tears, we decided to take one for the team and go home. We woke up the next morning with a brilliant story and the headaches to show for it but it was probably the best first impression I've ever shared with someone. Kaitlyn, here's to over two years (and hopefully many more) of a complicated relationship and the fact that you'll never have to wear an orange jumpsuit against your will (due to alcohol, anyway) haha...Happy 21st Birthday!!!!!

p.s. to all the other (like, 4) readers, I'm finally in the double digits...97 days till my 21st!! and of course, it's officially march so 16 days til St. Patty's Dayyyyy!! Now off to bed, work, school, carpool and then a sleepless night of paper writing before my much overdue mini-vacation to Charleston, Spring Break and St. Patty's Day. F-ing finally.

1 comment: