Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hindsight is 20/20

I should be in bed considering that the only thing between me and complete meltdown mode is a few hours of sleep...but tonight, I think something is more important. To steal a line from "Ooh La La" by The Faces (if you for some reason have just crawled out from under a rock and haven't heard this song, I feel sorry for you) I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger.

I know, I know, I'm only 20. I didn't need to know anything when I was younger...wrong. Until now, I looked back at the summer of '08 as the best summer I have ever had; and frankly, if this summer doesn't top it, nothing will (reminder, I'll finally be 21). I found and became friends with some of the greatest people I have ever met...and to think it all began with some wookie kid who liked to call himself "Izzo" and a game of flip cup. At first, I was hesitant when he and his friend Phil asked me to join them on an innocent trip to Williamson, but I soon found out that it was the best decision I have ever made...but what went wrong? Oh yeh, me. Don't misunderstand me, these kids are still my best friends (and I am damned-determined to keep it that way though I've managed to fill my life with superfluous adult crap...not anymore) but as Sarah so wisely said, hindsight is 20/20. I had some great things going for me that I managed to screw up...shocker.

Here's my current hindsight:

- High School - I only have two things I would've changed about highschool:
1) Now that my mom realizes how ridiculous a $17,000 tuition is, I should've pushed transferring out of SCDS a little bit harder.
2) I probably should have spent less time on jackasses while spending more time solidifying relationships that would have made my life easier...or less of a highschool sob-story.
3) No, I have nothing to say about academics and study habits...I am me so regardless of what GPA I graduadted with or what college I went to, I would still be at AASU right now. Home just makes everything better.

- Summer of '08 -
1) Even back then I knew that summer was the best yet but I had no idea it was going to be the best ever. Had I known that, I probably would've devoted myself to more certain things instead of playing the "it's only summer...it will end" game with myself.
2) I have got to stop being so f-ing oblivious. Apparently, my oblviousness threw up walls between me and people that it shouldn't have. Though I'm still not fully convinced that my friends couldn't have tried a little harder to point out all the shit I was doing wrong, I do agree that I need to stop assuming that I'm always in the "friend zone."
3) I wish I was as mature then as I am now...haha...ok so maybe I'm not the most mature person out there but having the ability to express my feelings would've reallyyyyyy made my life a hell of a lot less frustrating.
4) I should've focused on the future a little more. I made such rash decisions just because I didn't care enough about anything to want to work on it. Little did I know, it was going to come back to bite me in the ass. Now, thanks to Sarah's "brain seed," all I can think about is how happy I could've been had I known what I know now, when I was younger.

Oh the things I would do to be able to relive my life the right way...

2 comments:

  1. i'm glad we spent two hours conversing this last night and you still couldn't stop thinking about it...welcome to the brain seed club. =)

    ReplyDelete