First and foremost, I'm going to briefly touch on one of my biggest pet-peeves of all: grammar. As Sarah so eloquently put it, I am somewhat of a grammar nazi. I firmly believe that knowledge and understanding of spelling, grammar and the english language in general (for Americans, at least) really is one of the most important things someone can have. Now I'm not the best at commas and semi-colons and try my best at spelling but there are a few things I simply can't ignore.
They're = they are. They're going to the movies tonight. Not there, not their...THEY'RE.
Their = possessive. Their dog's name is Max. Not they're, not there...THEIR.
There = usually referring to a place. I went there last night. Not their, not they're...THERE.
To = usually used when talking about motion or moving towards a direction. I'm going to the beach today. Not too, not two...TO.
Too = also. I want to go to the beach too. Not to, not two...TOO.
Two = number. This one's pretty self explanatory...if you don't understand this one, stop reading my blog and go back to kindergarten.
You're = you are. You are an idiot. Not your and sure as hell not ur, YOU'RE.
Your = possessive. I love your dress. Not you're or ur, YOUR.
I know, I shouldn't have to remind people of this but I do...CONSTANTLY...which is why it pisses me off. We are adults (yes I'm including us in the adult age range, scary I know) and should know how to speak like adults. I cannot even begin to fathom why so many 20+ year olds have such difficulty with this stuff. I don't care if you use commas, apostrophes or periods in your texts or blogs but come on, there is NO excuse for ignoring the simplest and most important rules of the english langauge. I, being a "grammar nazi," automatically disregard your level of intelligence and overall importance in the grand scheme of things when you use such words incorrectly so just imagine what your future employers will think when you send them e-mails and whatnot. Oh wait, THEY'RE going to think YOU'RE an idiot. See, not that hard. That is all I'm going to harp on concerning grammar...now on to the purpose of this post.
It was brought to my attention tonight that people, specifically Samantha Shelton and UGA haters (for lack of a better word), have completely forgotten what college football is about. I began my night with friends at Loco's on the southside with football far from my mind until a Miami fan sat next to me (I don't like to think about it this early in the year because it just makes the wait that much worse). For those of you who haven't been to Loco's, there are paintings of Uga, a helmet and the National Championship flags that fly in Sanford Stadium to which Mr. Miami fan immediately belted out "F*CK GEORGIA!" For those of you who know me, that is a BOLD statement to make in my presence and for those of you who don't, take this as fair warning. I immediately turned to the guys to drop a hint it was time to go at which point Skoonk drunkenly wandered off and poor Ike had no idea what he was in for. I bit my tongue for as long as I possibly could but soon found it impossible. Not to toot my own horn, but there are plently of people who will agree that I know more about georgia football than at least the average female (thanks to my older brothers) which makes football fights that much more satisfying. Of course there are tons of people who could trump my knowledge in a second but my arguments continue to shock people; I am VERY passionate about Georgia Football and everything it entails. I sat and argued my points with the Florida grad and Miami fan until they bowed to my expertise and we finally decided to escape (I was literally shaking with frustration). Upon leaving, I immediately called Sarah since she is one of the only other females that even remotely loves UGA as much as I do, at which point she informed me about a blasphemous article in the Red&Black.
For those of you who haven't heard, Mike Adams has created new tailgating regulations on Georgia's North Campus. I for one am not that outraged simply because I usually don't do more that pass through North Campus on the way to the game, and I think he makes good points about preservation, but Shelton's article is just offensive. I have yet to see any sort of uproar from students, fans or alumni of the University so where does she get off being such a sarcastic bitch? Had she made some valid arguments, I wouldn't be as perturbed as I am, but she didn't. Sure, some fans drink heavily before games, but I challenge you to find a college in which pregaming and tailgating doesn't exist. Won't happen. Yeh, some people view football games as social events but they are to an extent...doesn't mean we don't love the sport and our team any less. Good point, there are some students who attend UGA because of football...they're called football players...but the rest have either dreamt of going to UGA since birth, have HOPE scholarship with which UGA is one of few options or they're there for the academics and just simply enjoy the perks of football season. Just because some kids pass out and puke before making it to a game, if they make it at all, doesn't mean we all do. The Bulldawg Nation is made up of people of all ages and genders who have their own reasons for loving UGA but the bottom line is the love is for football. What about all those children that don the Red and Black every saturday? Do you, Samantha, think they're all there to wear dresses and heels while funneling Bud Light? No...they're there to watch their idols play a game between the hedges. What about the 90+yr old alumni that are still true to their team...are they just there to get shitty? No ma'am, they're there to support a team they've worshipped for more years than ignorant people like you should be alive. Dear Samantha Shelton, next time you think about writing such an insulting and sacrilegious article, remember these things...you now have more that 92,746 enemies in the bulldawg nation so watch yourself, THIS is one of the MANY reasons I LOVE Georgia Football:
For those of you who haven't heard, Mike Adams has created new tailgating regulations on Georgia's North Campus. I for one am not that outraged simply because I usually don't do more that pass through North Campus on the way to the game, and I think he makes good points about preservation, but Shelton's article is just offensive. I have yet to see any sort of uproar from students, fans or alumni of the University so where does she get off being such a sarcastic bitch? Had she made some valid arguments, I wouldn't be as perturbed as I am, but she didn't. Sure, some fans drink heavily before games, but I challenge you to find a college in which pregaming and tailgating doesn't exist. Won't happen. Yeh, some people view football games as social events but they are to an extent...doesn't mean we don't love the sport and our team any less. Good point, there are some students who attend UGA because of football...they're called football players...but the rest have either dreamt of going to UGA since birth, have HOPE scholarship with which UGA is one of few options or they're there for the academics and just simply enjoy the perks of football season. Just because some kids pass out and puke before making it to a game, if they make it at all, doesn't mean we all do. The Bulldawg Nation is made up of people of all ages and genders who have their own reasons for loving UGA but the bottom line is the love is for football. What about all those children that don the Red and Black every saturday? Do you, Samantha, think they're all there to wear dresses and heels while funneling Bud Light? No...they're there to watch their idols play a game between the hedges. What about the 90+yr old alumni that are still true to their team...are they just there to get shitty? No ma'am, they're there to support a team they've worshipped for more years than ignorant people like you should be alive. Dear Samantha Shelton, next time you think about writing such an insulting and sacrilegious article, remember these things...you now have more that 92,746 enemies in the bulldawg nation so watch yourself, THIS is one of the MANY reasons I LOVE Georgia Football:
and last, but not least, GO DAWGS.
You should capitalize the "e" in English.
ReplyDeleteFlorida grad, Miami fan? this guy sounds like a liar.
ReplyDeleteWere you on drugs imagining things when this happened?
ReplyDeleteyou couldnt have put that all in one post? and if you'd read closely, i said florida grad and miami fan followed by THEY. which insinuates two different people.
ReplyDeletejonathan...really?
ReplyDelete