Saturday, March 6, 2010

you've lost your muchness



I finally got to see Tim Burton's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland last night so I have decided to write a review that will hopefully save the brain cells of many.

As a child, my walls were covered with weird stuffed wall-decorations of the Cheshire cat, mad hater, march hare and Alice in her pretty blue dress (don't judge me, I was an infant, my mom was the decorator) but thank god they didn't resemble the characters in the movie I saw last night. Please, do not get me wrong, I absolutely loved the movie but it was not one for the kids, which was somewhat disappointing. Disney's Alice in Wonderland has always been a much-admired movie by all children with imagination despite the twisted intent of author, Lewis Carroll. We grew up thinking that Wonderland as a beautiful place with sinister yet bubbly characters(and Absalom, a hooka-smoking caterpillar) but Tim Burton, almost rightfully, turned it into a place where decapitated heads float in the moat surrounding the Red Queen's (Helena Bonham Carter, aka Burton's wife) castle. Something must be understood though, Burton's adaptation was based more so on Through the Looking Glass, where Alice re-visits Wonderland to become the champion against the Jabberwocky.

Alright, I'll refrain from giving any more detail and head on to the review: I loved it. But as I said, not a movie for kids seeing as multiple characters get their eyes gouged by a needle-slinging mouse. Alice was played by a no-name actress who said not much more than "but I am Alice." Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were absolutely amazing, as usual, while Anne Hathaway starred in her smallest role to-date. I wasn't pleased to hear Alan Rickman's (Professor Snape) voice come out of the caterpillar but I'll get over it. The graphics were perfect and the Cheshire Cat was reason enough to go see the movie, in my opinion, but for you people planning on taking psychadellic drugs to go watch a "trippy Alice in Wonderland," don't. It's simply not that kind of film. Besides the fact that it is in 3D (new 3D movies don't really throw things at the audience, but rather give the viewer a foreground, middleground and background), there really was nothing "trippy" about it (hint: absalom really only has two disappointingly short scenes). Sorry to ruin your fun.

On to something more important: The weather trend for the next few weeks seems to be following a mid-60's and sunny pattern which makes me even more excited for St. Patty's Day (if that's even possible)...and I finally found something to wear. I know, none of y'all care but it's a huge load off my shoulders. 10 more days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment