Friday, April 9, 2010

growing older but not up

So my parents have conveniently gone out of town on my first weekend of working two jobs and left me with a decrepit dog and a psychotic cat (don't get any ideas, no parties) and let me just say that being an adult sucks. For starters, I have two jobs. Now many of y'all may have had multiple jobs at one point or another but I personally find a morning job, class then a night job to be completely exhausting and stressful. If I didn't have two 10-page papers to write within the next two weeks, I'd probably feel different, but as of now I'm at my wits end. On top of that, my dog is ancient and just had minor surgery so she requires around-the-clock care that I simply can't provide right now. I had to wake up 3 times in the middle of the night to let her out which started an attention war between Nessie and the cat (chewbacca...chewy for short). Before I could crawl back in bed to sleep I had to get both of them to shut up and separated which just caused my mood to drop and anxiety level to rise. How the hell am I supposed to be able to wake up 5 times a night with an infant sometime later in life? Ugh...and that was just last night.

I am currently at Bella Mia, my day job, and will be leaving here at 12 to make sure Nessie gets her medicine on time. I'm going to make a whopping $10 dollars at this store today. What is the point of my presence? Oh wait, I'm here so everyone else can run around town (on the clock) and leave me to do everything on my own. For those of yall who've never worked in a bridal shop, there is a lot of shit that employees are supposed to know that I have yet to learn due to the short time I've worked here. People call and ask questions that I can't answer. Again, my anxiety level rises. On top of that, I simply just don't enjoy this job anymore. I am grateful for the opportunity, and the paycheck, but I now know that I am not meant to work in the land of retail. If I get doomed to working a job I hate as an adult, I'm going to need a xanax presricption.

After I leave here, I get to go home to let the dog out, force feed her medicine, bathe her (since she decided to play in the rain and mud last night), feed the cat and then take him to get his nails clipped. All of that has to happen around my lunch, shower and laundry preparation for Molly McGuire's at 5. Now I should have plenty of time but the length of my to-do list is discouraging for a 3 hour time window. It would really help if my brother could help out since he's unemployed and everything but he's out playing golf somewhere. How convenient.

I'm done with the whiney part of the post, now on to how awesome my second job is. A lot of people tried to make the restaurant industry sound like a terrible place to work (because of all the bitchy customers) but I guess none of them have dealt with a PMSing Bride. Granted, I've only worked at Molly McGuire's since Tuesday and the weekends are notorious for being packed (so tonight may be stressful) but I still love it. I know yall are thinking...Kathryn? Two Jobs? and one she enjoys going to? I thought the same thing. The people at Molly's are hilarious. And far too comfortable with each other...and me even though I've only worked twice. Vick's favorite line of Wednesday night was "Kathryn, I'd sure like to see you in something other than those khaki shorts..." while Patrick rummaged through my purse, planned what shots he's making me take on my 21st (bear fights were mentioned) and offered to spike my Coke (coca-cola, that is...apparently you can't say coke in the restaurant industry without people getting excited and screaming "WHERE?!") Hahaha. But despite the perfect atmosphere I work in at Molly's, it can get stressful...Patrick put me on the schedule for 6 nights next week? and maybe a double? Goodbye grades...moral of the story is that being an adult with endless responsibilities, and at least one job you dislike, really sucks. Here's to growing older but not up as long as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment