If it's not apparent enough, the title of this blog is what I would like to consider a pretty clever pun. If you still don't get it, hopefully you will by the end...
Beach Bummer #1: Today started off pretty dumpy when I was put under the impression that my friends dipped out on me and the boat day that I wanted oh-so-bad...so I made the exective decision to call my river rat of a brother. He immediately responded by saying that I was too late and he was leaving the Landings harbor to pick Mason up from a dock on the Willmington River. Conveniently enough, Sarah and I were in bathingsuits walking out the door to head to Tybee so it was extremely simple to change our destination to 1708 Wilmington Island Road. It seemed as if everything was building up to be a perfect day on the river...until karma attacked Sarah. Or as Andrew put it, boderline raped and pillaged her...
In the process of unloading the boat and setting up on the beach, I stepped on something slimy. Though my first thought was sting ray until I talked myself out of it with thoughts of cannon ball jellyfish and/or clay. Apparently, I was wrong in every sense of the word...very soon after my brush with Steve Irwin's killer, Sarah experienced it first hand. As soon as I heard the blood curdling screams, I immediately assumed Sarah was having one of her overreaction moments. Once again, I was proven very wrong. Jeremy, Mason, Andrew and I stood in around with looks of sheer confusion that only worsened when shown the gaping wound where her ankle used to be. After half-assedly taping Sarah up, Mason and Jeremy carried her back out to the boat while Andrew made sure it didn't float away. The guys radioed the Landings Harbor and by the time we pulled in, a fire truck and ambulance were waiting for us...lights on and all. It was actually slightly hilarious.
To avoid the obnoxious ambulance fee, Sarah sucked it up and let me drive her to the hospital where we learned a very valuable piece of information. Question for Tybee lifeguard and mascot, Bear Williams, to prove his ocean rescue abilities of course...do not google, do not phone a friend, do not pass go...just answer: what is the best and fastest way to ease the pain of a sting ray sting?
Sarah is recovering with the help of crutches, a numbing shot that she actually didn't need Valium to get (are you convinced that your fear of needles is absurd yet?), lortab and friends that care way too much. Just be warned that if you ever want to get her out on the boat, be fully prepared to piggy back her to the beach.
Beach Bummer #2: It's official, I have to work at 4:30 on Friday...aka Beach Bum. I'm pretty upset but not for the reasons you'd think: I don't give a rat's ass about the parade, traffic is unbearable and am not a huge fan of getting doused in freezing cold water but just the fact that everyone is going to be down there getting drunk while I'm at work is downright depressing. I'm also a little nervous because Friday nights are our busiest nights and I've never had to serve one before...I might have a stress&nerves induced breakdown. RECAP: So not only am I missing Beach Bum, work is going to take me to a whole new stress level. THE BRIGHT SIDE: since I'm a fabulous employee and didn't put "I want off on beach bum" stress on Pattycake's shoulders, I'm getting my 2nd and 3rd favorite holidays (1st is St. Patty's day of course) off! And for those of you who can't figure it out, I dont have to work my birthday weekend OR July 4th weekend!!! Not to mention, come beach bum I will only have 2 weeks till my 21st birthday and I'd love to stay out of trouble.
In Other News: A Bear shared his shrimp with me a few nights ago....Oh, and if you were curious, their snores are comparable to the sounds of a Freight Train. STILL.
-18 DAYS TILL I'M 21!!! Time to start planning the birthday extravaganza...any ideas?
-it's still summer...hellllll ya
-JULIA WAS IN SAVANNAH and it was everything I wanted it to be...I am finally whole again.
-why is every new movie in 3D? I hate wearing glasses while trying to watch a movie/TV. Besides, the 3D is never quite right...or at least it isn't to me.
-Sarah's new nickname is "Irwin" and I will allow her to answer to only that...lets make this one stick.
Question for Tybee lifeguard and mascot, Bear Williams...
ReplyDeleteNothing Jonathan?
Hot water and or blowing a load on it. Sorry just got done with a rather extreme experience involving the loss and eventual recovery of me and travis's boat and being rescued by the coast guard
ReplyDelete